Physical injuries are a possibility for a wide range of jobs, especially in the construction, manufacturing or transportation industries. The law requires employers to create a safe working environment for their employees and to carry workers’ compensation insurance so that if an injury occurs then the employee receives compensation for medical bills and a portion of his or her salary. You must file a workers’ compensation claim to receive entitlements from an employer.

These three steps outline the process of filing a claim. Illinois has regulations that you must follow if you seek a favorable outcome to a workplace accident.

  1. Report your injury to your employer

It can be tempting to take a few days off after an injury. In order to protect your legal rights to the fullest extent, however, it is important to report your injury to your employer. Illinois law states that you have 45 days to report a condition.

Injuries may occur from a variety of circumstances. Workers might find themselves unable to perform tasks because of overexertion or repetitive strain on a body part. Or, they might suffer a slip and fall or be a victim of a machine malfunction.

  1. Submit your application

The next step is to submit an application with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. This requires a completed Application for Adjustment of Claim as well as a proof of service that states that your employer received a copy of the application. Illinois law grants a three-year period during which you can submit your paperwork.

Keep in mind that you only need to complete this step if your employer is not reimbursing you for your injury. Consult with a knowledgeable attorney if you have questions about your case.

  1. Wait for a response

An employer must fill out paperwork pertaining to your injury, inform its insurer and provide you with a list of medical providers. This process may take several weeks, so patience is key.

You do not have to suffer a workplace injury alone. Filing a workers’ compensation claim may result in a favorable entitlement from your employer.